Friday, January 6, 2012

Cloth Wipes....Oh how I LOVE you!

With V I didn't use cloth wipes. I actually don't even remember why I decided to use cloth diapers....I think it was to save money though. Plus, I like the idea of getting back to basics. As I have said, I wanted a natural birth, I like cloth diapers, I made Victoria's baby food, I'm all about breastfeeding (V did until she was 20 months).....this is how my great-grandmother did things, and I think more simple is better.

When I first took the plunge into cloth diapers I didn't expect much. I didn't want to spend a lot of money since I didn't know if it would work for me. I took my plain ol' Gerber flats, took to Youtube to find out how to fold them, and used those. I also got the "premium" prefolds from Baby Best Buy and some basic Dappi Covers. I would not recommend either of these really now that I know what I know about cloth. Anyway....I fully expected leaks and bulk going into it, so when that happened it didn't bother me. It happened less than expected so I was down with cloth. I found out there was a lot better but I didn't want to sink a lot of money...well more money...into one size diaper when I kept expecting V to grow into the next size....which she didn't so I just went ahead and invested in better diapers....and fell in love! Cloth wipes didn't occur to me for a lont time to tell the truth. Then I read that a lot of people used those cheapo baby wash cloths from like Wal-Mart....so that's what I did since I had some of those. I HATED it! How could I hate them so much and love cloth diapers? They were so thin and ineffective.

With Emily I started buying cloth as soon as I found out I was pregnant (I was preparing for another tiny, slow grower) and I decided to try cloth wipes again. I did some resear and got these

This is not my picture....it is Nate's Mommy Made It!'s picture from her Etsy shop. I ADORE these wipes! I got the 40. I probably could have used less, but I'm glad I got the 40. I keep around 5 in my diaper bag, I put all the black and blue ones in the bathroom for wash cloths, and the rest are for my wipe warmer in Emily's room. I have plenty for the warmer, back up, and still have them in the diaper pail. She includes a wipe solution too:) I actually looked up some more through Google and you can find a ton that way. The one I'm going to stick with because it seems to work the best for me is the Chammomile Tea and honey solution. These wipes are thick enough to be able to really scrub at something. They are also super soft! I haven't tried any other brands or fabrics so I can't compare but these are very effective and cost efficient. They are also pretty! I probably should have got gender neutral but I didn't....I guess if I have another kiddo and it's a boy he'll have girly wipes. Oh well:)

This is going to gross some people out but I don't generally wipe pee only. Google it though and it's not out of the norm. With Emily, almost every diaper has poop so she is definitely getting wiped enough. Now, as a baby gets older if they have completely soaked diaper I will wipe, but I don't like for my kiddos to get that wet. I change diapers frequently. This is how I am fine with only 5 wipes in my travel case though. I know that will cover me for my errands and such. I don't generally have to refill my case every time I go out but if I do that doesn't bother me.

I LOVE my cloth wipes! I will never go back to using disposables as my main source of wipes ever again. I have a pack of 72 that I keep in my bedroom for night time changes but that's it. I also use disposable diapers at night. That whole set up while baby is in my room is easier for me. I don't like having cloth in different rooms because it gets annoying for me. Anywho....if you are considering cloth wipes....GO FOR IT!!! You'll love them:)

2 comments:

  1. This is totally off topic from this blog but I read in one of your other blogs that you struggled TTC. Im currently TTC my second and having a really hard time. Did you do any fertility treatments? How long did you TTC? Did you do anything special (take baby aspirin, use preseed, etc) when you conceived? Thanks for answering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheer4Braves I am so sorry it has taken me this long to respond. For some reason I didn't get an email telling me about the message. Anywho....I started with a whatever happens, happens type attitude. Supposedly stress is supposed to hurt your chances, but that didn't work. In the end I used Clomid, took guaifenesin (cough syrup...but this needs to be the ONLY ingredient), used preseed, used ovulation predictor strips (just cheapos off the internet), cut out caffine, and drank decaf green tea. We BD every other day until the OPK came back positive and then it was every day for 2-3 days. I got pregnant the 3rd or 4th month on Clomid, first month I used preseed, and first month with the green tea (I know that one sounds random but I read it somewhere and I remembered I had been drinking a ton of green tea when I got pregnant with my first)....oh, and I had just started working out again because that's supposed to help too:) Good luck!! One of my closest friends is having a hard time right now too and my heart breaks for anyone that it doesn't happen right away for. I know that every month with AF rears her ugly head it is heart breaking and that you start to wonder what the heck is wrong with you. I will keep you in my prayers:)

    ReplyDelete