Saturday, April 28, 2012

Carseat Nazis

Yes, today is another 2 posts in one day type of day. I have really been struggling with if I want to do this post or not. I'm going for it. I never heard the term "carseat nazi" until I was out for a mom's night out (MNO) about a month ago. We are a group of 4 moms...all our birthdays are in March and we are besties:) Anywho....one mom was talking about how one of her videos on youtube had gone viral (awesome!) but all these mom's slammed her for putting her kiddo forward facing (not so awesome...the slamming that is). Then another mom said something about "carseat nazis." I was confused. I never heard that term. Then I realized.....ummmmm......I am a carseat nazi and maybe that's why.

First I would like to say that I would NEVER say anything to another mom about her choice to flip her carseat, but I have been known to post something on my facebook about how kiddos should rear-face until at least 2. I have also been known to give my Mom hell about twisted carseat straps. Sooooooo...here we go.

V was not 20 lbs. until she was 18 months. I did flip her at that point (1 year and 20 lbs. = you kiddo can forward face). I didn't so much flip her because of "Oh yeah! She's reached this milestone!"...no, I flipped her because kiddo HATES LOATHES the carseat. I thought she may not distract me (and break my heart so much with all the screaming) if I flipped her. It didn't really help so I flipped her back again. We did this dance for a bit. Around 2 I gave up and just left her forward facing. Recently (early February), I took her shopping for a new carseat. She kept complaining about how the one she had hurt her back. We tried them out and settled on the Graco Nautilus. I would have liked to try out the Britax Frontier 85 but they didn't have it in my local Toys R' Us and I was not buying a carseat she couldn't sit in a try out. She loves her Nautilus. She brags about it to everybody. "I got a new carseat! It's pink! AND it has a cupholder!!!!" She still brags about it sometimes and she's had it for almost 3 months. She doesn't scream the whole time in there anymore either which totally rocks my world. It rocks my world even more that I can say "Take a little, tiny nappy." and she lays her head over and goes to sleep! Hellz yeah!!!

Okay...that all said. I *plan* on getting Emily either a Britax Roundabout OR a Graco MyRide 65 next Feb. I also plan on her being rear facing until she outgrows said carseat either height or weight wise. Apparently there is supposed to be like a 1 inch gap between their head and the top of the carseat if they are rear-facing. She would probably hit that before weight since at 3 Victoria is 35 lbs. and therefore can still ride rear-facing based on weight in the carseat she screams in (rear-facing up to 40 lbs.) The new carseat goes to 65 lbs. with the 5-point harness and so she will be in that 5-pt. harness until she is a) 65 lbs. or more likely b) 52".

I think one of the major reasons people forward face their kiddos is they are simply not aware. They are told they can flip their kiddo at 1 (most don't even know they have to also be 20 lbs.) so that's what they do. Honestly it's safer for everyone to be rear-facing but since I can't drive my car rear-facing......

Here's a video link since I can't figure out how to embed videos...



oh wait...I did it! (Oh snap guys....you're about to experience many, MANY more videos!!!!!!)

Anywho....now, the voice is kinda creepy...but didn't that break your heart! Rear face your kiddos peeps!!! Then keep them in a 5-pt. harness for as long as possible! I don't want to really tell you how to parent and all but.....REAR-FACE your child! I would rear-face V if I could (at 3) but she's too dang big so now she is in the harness and as previously stated....she will be until she reaches the max of the carseat....then she'll be in a booter until that max (100 lbs. or 57"). In my state they don't even allow highback boosters until 4 yet many peeps I know put kiddos under 3 in them!!!! I could just die!

On top of this you really need to keep those straps untwisted for a better fit, keep the chest clip between the armpits, keep the straps tight so only 2 fingers can fit between straps and kiddo, keep straps at or just below shoulder height, AND for goodness sakes fold your infant carrier's handle back (so it can collapse as it should into the seat and not break the handle in your child's face).

Done. This "carseat nazi" is stepping off the soapbox...and in my defense...I would NEVER comment on someone's youtube video and tell them they are a horrible mom. Jeezzzz peeps!!!! You're not perfect either ya' know!

No comments:

Post a Comment