Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pre-chewing and Elimination Communication

So.....do you do these? I don't really do these 2 things so I can't give a ton of info.

First: Pre-Chewing
So, I'm not even going to pretend that this doesn't gross me out a little. It does....but that's my own hang-ups. I don't care if other parents do this I just can't. It is supposed to have some great benefits though. So the saliva has enzymes in it that helps break down food....so for a little developing digestive system that is just trying to learn to process food it's helpful. Also, the kiddo gets some more immunity through the saliva.

Now....I regularly would bite something off and give my daughter the piece I bit off....I can't think of an example right here....for lack of an actual example I will say something like steak....I know, I know. I'm saying like for some reason if I didn't have a knife, I would not hesitate to bite off a little piece of steak for my 3 year old...I would take a bite, take that bite out of my mouth and give it to her. Now....I wouldn't chew it first and transfer it through "kiss feeding." A lot of other cultures do.....as did your ancestors at one time....we didn't always have blenders and such ya' know. Oh....and this is a bit gross sounding too...I used to totally lick stuff off my older girl's face....like chocolate or something. Anyway...worked for us.

So there's a little a pre-chewing so next is elimination communication. I guesss I did a *little* elimination communication (EC) with my older girl. I wanted to start potty training her early and I have heard that some children are quite scared of the toliet. My answer to this was I just started sitting her on the potty when she was 9 months old while I was getting her bath ready. One night she decided to take me by complete surprise and peed in there!!!!! Holy stinkin' cow! Well, I did this every night and she peed in the potty every night. Then I started noticing she didn't pee during naps but she peed as soon as she woke up so I started taking her then too and she would always go on the potty. It was greatness!!! Then I went back to work....then I quit to stay home again and started trying to get her potty trained. She wasn't day time trained until 20 months and night time trained recently....like 4-5 months ago (so right around 3 but I really don't remember). I didn't push that one. Whenever she started asking to wear panties to bed and would throw a fit about wearing a dipe I explained it to her. So she then started having dry diapers and as long as she doesn't drink a ton, AND I take her before I go to bed, then we're good for the most part.

So...I got off on a bit of a tangent there....EC is reading your kiddos cues....learning how they can before they go and what triggers them.....like drinking a lot. Like with V...I noticed she never peed while sleeping and went directly after. Thing is, some amazing Mommas and Daddies out there start this from like birth or a very young age. They learn to read their baby. Cultures all around the world practice this but I believe that as a whole we've gotten a bit lazy. Me too so don't get pissy with that comment. I use diapers. Don't make fun of people that choose EC though because that is, in my opinion, a hard route to take. You have to be completely in tune with your baby and always on your toes. You develop a bond and language between you that those of us that use diapers don't have. Oh...and those babies wouldn't be getting diaper rash! LOL! Couldn't resist.

So, my little parenting topics tangent is not quite over. I will be going over foods next time but that will be a couple days away...like Thurs. night maybe. I have a busy week coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment