Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Breastfeeding

It really grind my gears that anyone thinks they get a say as to how, when, and/or for how long I nurse my babies. I will not nurse in a bathroom. Do you want to eat in a bathroom? There are a ton of germs in those things.....and they just fly around all over the place. I generally cover up with a blanket, but not always, and I DARE someone to say something! Ugh. I don't just flop my boob out and go to town. I am a discreet as possible. I will flop it out on here tough:)


I'm sorry....but that's just sweet. That's a bond and precious moment with my baby. She will not breastfeed for much more of her life than she will so I'm going to cherish it. This is a time that my baby gets everything she needs from my body. She caresses her booby and smiles and goes to sleep happy with a full belly. She gets all the nutrients she needs from me. My body knows her and changes to fullfill her needs. When she was born it was extra fatty but now that she is 4 months it's not as fatty. Yes, there is less iron than in formula but it's easier for her to digest so she gets what she needs. As my baby grows I know she will be like my older girl and run to me when she gets a boo boo or is scared and climb up on my lap and want to comfort nurse. I kind of let my older self wean. I was out of town for 2 days and when I got back she wasn't interested. She asked a couple of months later but I did tell her no at that point. I had decided it was time for my older one to wean which is why I was gone for 2 days. I felt she would stop if she didn't see me for a couple of days and I was right. She was 20 months when she weaned. She was asking for booby and pausing during nursing to say thank you and well......that was a bit odd for me. Plus, I was trying to get pregs again (unsucessfully) so I felt I should stop nursing to help that out.

Breastfed babies are healthier and they have less chance of becoming obese later in life. The AAP recommends breastfeeding....this is what they have to say:

"Breastfeeding and human milk are the normative standards for infant feeding and nutrition. Given the documented short- and long-term medical and neurodevelopmental advantages of breastfeeding, infant nutrition should be considered a public health issue and not only a lifestyle choice. The American Academy of Pediatrics reaffirms its recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for 1 year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant."

This is what WHO says about it:

"Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond."

If you choose not to breastfeed that is your choice. Everyone should be able to make their own parenting choices (as long as it doesn't endanger the child). I will say that people that don't even attempt breastfeeding really annoy me though. I mean even if you do just once.....just that first attempt and your baby gets colostrom goodness....everyone should at least *try*.

So, I will not feel like I have to hide somewhere to nurse, I will not feel like just because I don't have a cover (or my baby is not wanting the cover) that I don't nurse, I will not pump to give a bottle when I am out just to make some perv feel better about my choice. My boobs are not there for sexual thoughts (which is the only reason someone can't stand to see nursing)....my God put them there for feeding my babies. I will nurse while I'm walking (mall, zoo, grocery store), I will nurse when I'm eating, I will nurse anywhere I danged well please and there are laws to protect that right. I am giving my baby what is the best for her and I just can't believe that anyone would have a problem with me doing what is best for my baby.

Ok, I will climb down for the day.....next up is vaccines.

No comments:

Post a Comment