Friday, October 7, 2011

Vegetable Beef Barley Soup

I tried to talk myself into putting a picture with this blog but I just can't do it......yet. I will add it at the end when I've talked it up because the picture looks not so yummy. I LOVE this soup though. It is going to be a staple this fall. The first time I went to make it the hubs got that disgusted look and said he'd eat a sandwich. He had never had it; he just assumed he wouldn't like it. Of course now that he's tried it he likes it as much as I do. I didn't have an onion this last time I made it so I threw in some Onion Soup Mix and I couldn't tell a difference. I also didn't have green bell pepper so I just left that out. A word of warning.....the day you make it's really soupy, but it becomes pretty thick and I guess stewy (because of the barley). I like it both ways....I actually prefer it thicker because I'm not much for really liquidy soup. I know that sounds a little odd. Oh, the hubs asked for more veggies!!!! When I picked my jaw up from the floor I made note to make it with more corn and such the next time, but the hubs STILL wants more corn and green beans in there!!! I can definitely oblige. I asked him about carrots.....that was a negative. LOL! Both times I've made this I forgot to throw it in the crock pot early enough so I did high for 4 hours instead of slow for 6. This is another Betty Crocker Recipe;)

1/2lb stew meat
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 oz) beef broth (I didn't have any the first time so I used chicken broth)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup frozen green beans (I accidentally grabbed snap peas so I used canned green beans)
1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
1/2 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in your crock pot set on low for 6 hours and there you have it!

Did I say I LOVE this soup?!?! I think I could eat it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY! I know it looks gross, but you should give it a try:) This picture by the way is left over so after a day it has thickened up quite a bit. Sorry for the blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment