Friday, June 10, 2011

My hysterical moment at the Dr.'s

Today I FINALLY had another Dr. appointment. It's been 5 weeks since my last appointment and I was thisclose to losing my mind. I even called just over 2 weeks ago to see if I could come in just to check for baby's heartbeat. My doctor's office is pretty fantastical and so they said yes:) Only problem was I wasn't able to make it over before they closed for the day at 4:30. I decided I needed to just suck it up and wait instead of calling and trying again. Well, I schedule my appointments for right after lunch if I can so they get me back quick and this time was no exception. They got me back really quick and they got the doppler out to check the baby's heart....but they couldn't find it. Well, she couldn't find it. She pressed really hard, she tried not pressing hard, she checked all over me belly. I told her she was making me really nervous. I cannot tell you how many horror stories I have read lately of women going in for their 16 week check-up, finding no heartbeat, getting an ultrasound, and the baby died previously and they had no clue. I mean I have been horrified of this happening and here my worst nightmare was coming true. I broke down. I was bawling my eyes out and I was sure the nurse was about to lose it to. She could barely stop hugging me so that she could go get another nurse. Well, the next nurse came in, my regular nurse, and as soon as she put the doppler on my belly she found it!!!! WHEW!!! I could breathe again. All I could say was....I'm sorry.....I'm pregnant (in regards to being so emotional). Pregnancy is for sure an emotional rollercoster. The heart rate was staying between 145-155. That pretty much sums up the appointment. Oh...and then I scheduled my next which was to be 4-5 weeks from now, but I will be on vacay 5 weeks from now so I wanted to schedule it for July 8th. Go figure, that is when my doctor is on vacay!!! Ugh....well, I asked if I could still schedule the anatomy scan since that is done somewhere else anyway, and they said of course!!! I'm super excited!!! So, we should find out the sex of the baby 4 weeks from today! I don't particularly give a whoop about the Dr.'s appointment since it'll just be the basic routine stuff; nothing special.

After the appointment I had planned on taking a tour of Labor and Delivery. My Dr. recently started practicing at a different hospital and it just so happens it is the ONLY hospital around that I would NOT want to deliver at. Go figure. The reason I wasn't so keen on delivering there is 1) You labor and deliver in 1 room and then move to another for recovery and postpartum. I was willing to work past this, but 2) you aren't (or weren't, rather) allowed to keep the baby in the room at night unless someone was awake. I called and asked about this specifically as I heard that this has recently changed and I wanted to ask again while touring. Well, thank goodness they have indeed changed this crazy rule and you are now allowed to keep the baby in the room with you at all times. Another plus is they recently added 6 or 8 labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum rooms!!! I got to check out one of these rooms today and it was pretty dang spectacular!!! Here's hoping I get to be in one of those rooms. It seemed that not a lot of people were using them though so I have high hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment