Thursday, June 6, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!

So, obviously this is a little late. 

What did you do for Memorial Day? My little family of four went to Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains. I'm not gonna lie. I am so jealous of all those that spent the holiday (especially the whole weekend) out on the lake. I LOVE the lake!!! I forgot just how much I love the lake until last year. This post is not about that though. 

We had a fantabulous time! We planned on going for a hike but the hubs and I had a little mis-communication. Well, we might have had that happen about several things (oh well). We are blessed to live close to the mountains and we really love spend time up there. Granted, not as much as we used to because gas is not cheap and we drive 2 gas guzzlers. We took the hub's gas guzzler this trip (which is very rare). We packed up a picnic and headed out to enjoy our little piece of this great country that many have fought and died for. 


If you live anywhere near the Great Smoky Mountains and have not visited.....what's wrong with you? Seriously you should! There is something for everybody in every season. There are beautiful, historical trails (if you want some serious awesomeness check out....and stay at Mt. LeConte), chalets, skiing, tubing (on snow and in creeks), camping, horseback riding, camping.....really....everything. The Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge areas are like Myrtle Beach in the Mountains. LOL! Sersiously....just go! The hubs and I are DYING to stay at LeConte Lodge again but financially aren't really able to swing it while I'm not working (well, we could but we aren't willing to give up other things......like a family beach vacay or aniversary trip....but if our anniversary were not in Oct. we would for reals do it for that). 

I'm blabbering. 

We went straight to the Cove... the girls were released out of their car seats and allowed to just hang out. (Yes, that is a seat belt positioning booster...only for her Daddy's F-350 that she rides in rarely...otherwise she's still in a 5-pt. harness.)


Victoria has a small army of toys where ever we may go.....just ignore that.....Caroline had to come....and apparently she needed a bag....and of course Monkey had to come. 

We visited some of the cabins that have been preserved and talked about how horrible it is that the tore down the house of the last person living in the Cove because it was too modern. I mean seriously how sad is that!? It is still a BIG part of history! Oh...and while walking on a trail I told Victoria to not walk in the Mud....Here's that convo (spoiler...she won).

Me: Victoria, walk over this way.
V: Why?
Me: So you don't walk through the mud.
V: Why? (yay....we are in that stage!! Dripping with sarcasm)
Me: So you don't get your sandals dirty silly!
V: Can't you just wash them? 
Me: (Crap :-/) Ummm.....Yeah....okay.....I guess....sure. You're right. I can. (I don't have a problem telling her she's right when she's right.)






We had a little picnic...in a very poorly picked area with a ton of poison ivy...so we carried the girls and wouldn't let them off the blanket.....that was covered in spiders. Yeah.....next time we'll pick a better area. 


I promise Emily had on a blue jean skirt. 

We all stood in a tree. I know. Random. Well....I thought it would be cute to get a pic of Victoria up there and she flipped out! Weirdo. Hence her daddy hanging out behind the tree. Then Emily was like....Oh I want to!!! (she didn't actually say that of course but she ran of there and pointed at and spoke jibberish), then Victoria insisted that Kev and I do the same. So there you have it...our family tree. Get it?! Family Tree?! I totally crack myself up. Poor hubs. 


And then I was done. The girls were being difficult and I was ready to go.....then there was traffic....and because we are used to this...hubs and I said..."That's bear traffic!" We did the only logical thing we could think of...pull over, take the kiddos out, and chase the bear. I kid. No we did do that but we talked about how stupid it was first. I don't have and great pics of the bear because I'm not that crazy. It was a Momma and her 2 babies and I was NOT going any where near her (no one else was that stupid either). 


It was a good day at the Cove :-) 

We went to Smoky Mountain Brewery afterwards....that sounds bad. It's family friendly. It's pretty much our fave place. 

On the way Emily went to sleep for a MUCH needed nap and Victoria informed me she was hungry and wanted strawberries. I told her to not eat too many because we were about to eat. About 5 min. later she said, "Uh-oh! Mommy, I'm sorry. I accidentally ate them all. Well, there's 1 left!" Yeah....I quartered them so 1 left meant a quarter of a berry. LOL! Oh well.....at least it was healthy food. 

When we got to the Brewery there was face painting going on and so V got a butterfly. 



As you can see....Caroline is with her pretty much at all times. She's dying for Saige....umm...ask Santa...maybe. 

Anywho.....it was a pretty perfect day! We had a great time! 












No comments:

Post a Comment