Sunday, June 2, 2013

Avoiding the "Summer Slide"

I feel like I haven't been on here in forever!! I keep meaning to come visit.....sorry..

Anywho...

I have pulled the girls out of daycare (or as we call it school) for the summer. I'm not working and normal school is out for the summer so I felt like it was what we should do. Victoria will go to a Parents Day Out program starting next week though so that she does still have some social time and a little bit of "school" type work. She has made MAJOR strides this past year and I really don't want to go backwards. I want to avoid the "summer slide," but here's the problem.....she doesn't like me to teach her. She doesn't really focus well with me and it's kind of hard to dedicate the time while like monster Em's is running around. I have decided to give ABCmouse a go and I really like it! I would HIGHLY recommend that you set up an account without the little one(s) present though because it was hard to figure out a starting level without really looking into it. I chose to start on level 3 because that is the first level in her age range but I felt like it was really easy for her because it's stuff she learned awhile ago and has pretty much mastered it. Today I was just going to build her a lesson that I felt was more on her level, but thankfully I checked out the next couple of levels and BOOM....level 5 is just what she needed. She loves that she can earn tickets for things so I don't have to beg her to do it. It only goes to level 6 so I'm not sure how long we'll be using it but I'm glad we have it for now.

I also went and bought a workbook. Those things are not cheap for sure! I bought one from Target because I had the girls I didn't really feel like shopping around but I have heard they have them at the Dollar Tree has them and I know a local place called "Ollies" has them as well. I should probably check out the Dollar Tree because I drive by that place daily BUT I just hate returning something and then going to another store...buckling and unbuckling kiddos. Call me lazy....I just can't stand it. The book is great though! It is by School Zone here's a linky to their site. My favorite thing is that is covers everything in one book! While it is a little pricey..I'm just going to be honest...I will *probably* keep with this brand and get her one every summer because I really do like the layout and it goes up to grade 6. I will definitely look at other books next time I am at the other stores I mentioned but they would really have to blow this one out of the water and be a lot cheaper. I know I could find individual books that I like, but like I said.....I really like that it's all in one.


No comments:

Post a Comment